After receiving restorative work, you must follow certain instructions to make sure your new, beautiful smile lasts as long as possible. This also is the case when talking about dental fillings. This treatment consists of placing different types of material in your teeth to restore their integrity and morphology. They can be used to repair tooth decay and cracks, fill root canals and even make the shape of the teeth more even.
After receiving dental fillings in Encino, you will need to talk to your dentist about the proper care you need to practice to ensure they are long-lasting. There are many ways to take care of them, here we bring you a few tips to follow before you speak to your dental professional about fillings.
How to take care of your fillings immediately after they are placed:
- Avoid eating or drinking until the anesthetic used in the procedure wears off: This is important as you can injure yourself and damage the filling.
- Maintain the area and keep it clean: Remember to brush and floss after every meal daily.
- Your sensitivity may increase after you have received the filling: Make sure to avoid foods that can trigger your sensitivity or that can damage your fillings to prevent pain.
How to take care of your fillings long term:
- Avoid grinding your teeth, this can damage both your teeth and the fillings: If you suffer from bruxism, then talk to your dentist in Encino about getting a mouth guard. Teeth grinding doesn’t only wear down the surface of the teeth and filling but also increases sensitivity.
- Reduce the number of sugary foods and beverages you consume regularly: These types of foods and drinks can cause tooth decay and lead to tooth loss when consumed in excess.
- Keep away from highly acidic food and drinks: The acid present in them can stain and break down fillings over time.
- Stay away from drinks that could potentially cause stains such as coffee, tea, and wine: They can easily stain the fillings ruining the appearance of your smile.
- Steer clear from all types of alcohol including those present in dental products such as toothpaste and mouthwash: Alcohol significantly affects the durability of the fillings, so you better be looking for alcohol-free products if you want your new fillings to last you a long time.
- Remember to regularly visit a dentist near you: If you have restorative work like fillings you should stay on top of your dental appointments. This way they can address any problems right away if needed and keep your oral health intact.
- If you have multiple fillings, it can be a good idea to ask your dentist about prescribing you a fluoride gel: This product can help you strengthen your enamel which will prolong the life of your fillings. Also, they are great at preventing tooth decay and other dental problems.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables: Especially fibrous veggies that will promote oral health by helping to keep the surface of your teeth and gums clean.
- Don’t bite your nails: This habit can be detrimental to both your fillings and teeth.
- Refrain from smoking and consuming tobacco in any form: Tobacco stains your teeth, gums, and fillings. On top of that, it can lead to bad breath and overall poor oral health.
- Chew gum after eating if you’re out and can’t brush your teeth: Sugar-free gum can help you avoid stains by cleaning any substance that might be coating your teeth after eating or drinking.
Ask about dental fillings near you at your local dental office. They can give you more tips and information on how to care for them and maintain a beautiful and healthy smile.